Vincent's Fresh Sunflowers have golden orange overlapping petals with crisp green disk..
Vincent Sunflower varieties have been quickly taken up by growers. Vincent has been bred to be less sensitive to day length, offering growers greater flexibility in programming for early, mid and late season sales. Better height is achieved under short days, yet plants do not grow too tall under long days. An extra ring of rounded overlapping petals provide better flower fill for a more attractive appearance and a higher percentage of high quality, saleable stems and flowers. Vincent's are an excellent series for both wholesale and retail markets, including Farmers' Markets and roadside stands.
Single stemmed. Day length neutral. Maturity: 60-70 days. Recommended spacing: 4 to 12". Flower size varies based on spacing.
25 Seeds Per Package
Tips on How to Grow Sunflowers from Seeds
Germination is in 10-15 days at 60- 65°F
SOW INDOORS only if you cannot outdoors as stated below. 8-10 weeks before last frost. Sow one seed 1/2 inch deep per pot. Water and cover with either polythene or bubble plastic to retain the heat, or place pots on a heated bench or in a propagator with the temperature set at 55°F.
Remove the covers when the leaves appear. Plant seedlings outside when they are large enough to be handled and the root system is well developed.
For Direct Sowing ( DIRECT SOW THIS VARIETY) This variety does not transplant well-
Plant outside 1 to 2 weeks after average last frost, and when soil temperature is 65º–75ºF.
- Give the plants plenty of room, especially for low-growing varieties that will branch out. Make rows about 30 inches apart. For very smaller varieties, plant closer together, around 12inches apart. You can plant multiple seeds and thin them to the strongest contenders when the plants are 15cm (6in) tall.
- Transplant seedlings into your garden after the last frost date for your area. When 3 feet tall, thin to 1 plant every 18-24 inches.
- Once your plants are established, they should grow well with few problems. Keep the soil moist to slightly dry. Water them during dry periods, once or twice per week. Keep them well weeded, or apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch for a tidy appearance.
- Moisture: Very moist for days 1 – 3 or until radicle emergence. On days 4 – 7 reduce moisture to moist . Once actively growing, begin alternating between moisture levels wet and medium .
- Light: Full sun.
- Harvesting from seed.
- To dry sunflower seeds, cut the heads off when they begin to yellow at the back and hang them upside down in a dry location away from rodents and birds. Once dry, rub the seeds off and soak overnight in (1 gallon of water with 1 cup of salt in it.
Dry in a low heat, 250°F oven for 4 to 5 hours and store in an airtight container. The black-seeded varieties are mainly for oil and birdseed. The grey and white-striped varieties are for drying and eating.