Mealy-Cup Sage / Salvia farinacea
Evolution Salvia Violet has won BOTH top awards- the All-American Winner and Europes Fleuroselect Quality Mark. This is the best Mealycup Sage ever produced and grown. Evolution is a new generation for Salvia, producing richer blooms, better branching on a more compact, weather resistant plant. Height of 18 inches and about 14 inches wide. Evolution is actually a perennial, but it overwinters only in the frost-free areas of zones 8-10, it is an annural everywhere else. Native to North American so you will find this Salvia free from most pests and diseases. This plant puts up with bad weather from heat and humidity to drought and unseasonable cold temperatures. 50 Seeds Per Package.
Tips on How to Grow Salvia from Seeds
Optimum conditions for seedling development that begins the day the crop is sown until cotyledon expansion.
Expect radicle emergence 3 – 20 days.
SOW INDOORS 10-12 weeks before last frost. 15-20 days to germinate.
Do Not Cover Seeds, just press lightly into very moist soil and maintain moisture levels. If you are watering indoors do so from below, (sub-irrigate.) Keep at 72-75°F.
- Light is necessary for germination.
- TRANSPLANT into your outdoor garden after danger of frost. Space outside12-14" apart. Spacing is variety specific and all information is on our packs.
- Moisture: Very moist for days 1 – 3 or until radicle emergence. On days 4 – 7 reduce moisture to moist . Once actively growing, begin alternating between moisture levels wet and medium . Allow media to approach dry before re-saturating to level .
- SOW OUTDOORS- USDA zones 1-8 start indoors as an annual.
- for USDA zones 8-10 sow seed directly outdoors in the space where you want it to grow as a perennial.
- Light: Full sun.