Vegetable Garden - Tips on Growing Spinach from Seeds
Spinach is frost tolerant and grows best in the cool weather that comes in the beginning and the end of the growing season. Direct-sow it in the garden in spring as soon as the ground can be worked, or in the fall, or starts it in flats indoors three to four weeks before the last frost in spring. Spinach germinates and grows well in cool weather. Along with being nutritious, spinach is also versatile in the kitchen. It's delicious raw in salads, and it's the basic ingredient in many hot dishes, including lasagna.
Sowing Spinach Seeds
- Seed Depth: ½" (.13mm)
- Germination soil temperature: 50-75º F (10-24ºC) optimum is 70F (21ºC)
- Days to Germination: 7-14
- Sow indoors: 3-4 weeks before last frost.
- Sow outdoors: Early spring
USDA Hardiness Zone -First Frost Date- Last Frost Date
- Zone 1 -July 15th -June 15th
- Zone 2 -August 15th- May 15th
- Zone 3 -September 15th May 15th
- Zone 4 -September 15th May 15th
- Zone 5 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 6 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 7 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 8 -November 15th March 15th
- Zone 9 -December 15th February 15th
- Zone 10 -December 15th January 31st (sometimes earlier)
- Zone 11 -No frost. No frost.
- pH range: 6.0-7.5
- Growing soil temperature: 60-65º F (16-18ºC)
- Spacing in beds : 12-18" (30-45cm)
- Watering: Light and even
- Light: Full sun to partial shade..
- Nutrient requirements: N=moderate, P=moderate, K=moderate
Benefits all succeeding crops, should not follow legume.
- Good Companions: Cabbage family, celery, lettuce, onion, peas, radish.
- Bad Companions: Potatoes
Find Similar Products by Category
Customers also viewed