Tropical plants grown for brilliantly colored leaves and blue flowered spikes. Sow seed indoors or
outdoors when danger of frost is past; likes warm soil for best germination. Feed plants regularly
with high nitrogen fertilizer.
NEW! Wizard Series Mix Coleus Seeds
A specific coleus seed mix made from all the separate individual varieties to include
Golden, Jade, Pastel, Pineapple, Pink, Rose, Scarlet, Sunset and Velvet Red.
| || Coleus Mosaic Seeds |
You won't find a more unusual seed coleus than this upbeat variety. Extra-huge leaves, in brightly colored patterns of green, red and cream.
| || Red Coleus Seeds |
This exciting new coleus features extra large leaves on plants that grow 18"-20" tall in the garden.
Flower Garden - Tips on Growing Coleus From Seeds
Water plants on an as-needed basis. Coleus are sun tolerant but are suited best for partial sun. Tolerant of heat and humidity. Low maintenance, and plants will stretch under low lights. Space plants 12-14 inches apart in well-drained soil. Sow indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost.
DIRECT SOW After all danger of frost is over.
Stage 1 Radicle (Embryonic Root)
- Moisten the media before sowing the seed. If the media is watered after sowing, make sure seeds are not washed away.
- Light is beneficial during germination, or cover very lightly with vermiculite.
- Germination takes approximately 4-5 days. Keep media evenly moist but not saturated.
- Maintain 95% relative humidity until radicles emerge. Coleus is very sensitive to high salts, especially high ammonium during germination. Keep ammonium levels less than 10ppm.
- Germination: 72 -75ºF (22 to 24ºC)
Stage 2 Hypocotyl (Stem and cotyledon emergence)
- At stage 2 reduce soil moisture slightly to allow the roots to penetrate into the media. At stage 3 allow media to dry further until the surface becomes light brown before watering but avoid excessive wilting to promote root growth and control shoot growth.
- Stage 2: Days=72-75ºF (21 to 24ºC) Nights=60-65ºF (16 to 18ºC)
Stage 3 Cotyledon (Growth and development of true leaves).
- Coleus are low to moderate feeders, excessive feed can lead to dull coloration and decreased vigor. Apply fertilizer at rate 2 (100 to 175ppm ,predominately nitrate form with low phosphorus and high potassium.
- Stage 3: Days=60-62ºF (16 to 17ºC) Nights=55-60ºF (13 to 15ºC)
Stage 4 Getting ready for transplant/growing on period.
- Stage 4-Growing on stage-= Days=65-75ºF , (18o 24ºC) Nights=57-65ºF ºF (14to 18ºC)
USDA Hardiness Zone -First Frost Date- Last Frost Date
- Zone 1 -July 15th -June 15th
- Zone 2 -August 15th- May 15th
- Zone 3 -September 15th May 15th
- Zone 4 -September 15th May 15th
- Zone 5 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 6 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 7 -October 15th April 15th
- Zone 8 -November 15th March 15th
- Zone 9 -December 15th February 15th
- Zone 10 -December 15th January 31st (sometimes earlier)
- Zone 11 -No frost. No frost.
GARDEN HINTS: Coleus are sensitive to cold temperatures and cold water. Plants
can grow in full sun, however their colors become more brilliant in shade or partial shade.